By Leonard Calabrese, DO
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services Policy
Many of us who treat autoimmune and autoinflammatory diseases could benefit from a periodic refresher course on the basic immunologic underpinnings of immune and inflammatory diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis (RA), systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), ankylosing spondylitis (SpA), psoriatic arthritis (PsA), inflammatory bowel disease and more. If it has been a few years since you last worked your way through basic and clinical immunologic principles as they apply to diagnosis, treatment and pathogenesis of autoimmune and autoinflammatory diseases, Clinical Immunology Boot Camp is for you.
The course is held annually and consists of one-and-one-half days of basic and clinical immunology that we like to describe as centered on biology and functional data while minimizing sophisticated jargon. It includes a flipped classroom lunch where the attendees set the agenda and drive the discussions in breakouts with outstanding faculty. Last year’s course, the fifth annual, held in Las Vegas in March, was captured live and can now be found as an enduring CME activity online.
Online lectures include:
Clinical Immunology Boot Camp Sessions
- Overview of Innate Immunity, the Microbiome and the Integrated Immune Response – Leonard Calabrese, DO
- Antigen Presentation, T Cell Activation and Deactivation – Leonard Calabrese, DO
- T Cell Effector Function (TH1, TH2, TH17) and Cytokine Biology – R. John Looney, MD
- Tolerance and Autoimmunity – Lessons from Animal Models and Primary Immunodeficiency Syndromes – R. John Looney, MD
- B Cell Biology and T Follicular Helper Cells – The Fundamentals – Gregg Silverman, MD
- Immunoglobulin and Complement in Health and Disease – William Rigby, MD
Mini-Biologic Review Sessions
- Novel Therapies in the Pipeline for RA and SLE – Vibeke Strand, MD
- Novel Therapies PsA and SpA – M. Elaine Husni, MD, MPH
You can join us, go at your own pace and refresh your knowledge of this rapidly moving field and feel more confident in understanding the current literature in major journals and critically appraising the data on method of actions of new biologic drugs including monoclonals, kinase inhibitors and more. Lastly, feel more confident that you will be able to engage in the complex shared and informed decision-making process with our patients over safety concerns, immunopharmacology and more. We have organized this mini-course to be completed in small portions. In 30-45 minutes, you can gain critical, clinician-oriented knowledge in basic and clinical immunology. Participate today at www.ccfcme.org/immuneweb
Experience it live in 2018
Prefer to attend live events? The Basic and Clinical Immunology Symposium will return on March 9-10, 2018, in Miami, FL. The upcoming boot camp will focus on the following: a brief review of the integrated immune response and recent advances in clinical immunology; a deep dive into advances in the basic immunology of biologic therapy for immune-mediated inflammatory diseases; and a workshop on how to engage patients in their immunologic health by modifying stress, diet, exercise and sleep. Sign up for updates today at www.ccfcme.org/clinical18fl.