With more than 78 million Americans suffering from obesity today, Cleveland Clinic’s Bariatric and Metabolic Institute is committed to providing solutions to ease this epidemic’s long-term effects on patients. Our team of bariatric surgeons can help you with patients with class III obesity (body mass index > 40, or 35 to 39 with obesity-related comorbidities) who might benefit from bariatric surgery.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services Policy
“Exercise and diet alone are not effective for treating severe obesity,” says Bariatric and Metabolic Institute Director Phillip R. Schauer, MD. “Surgery is really the only option proven by scientific study.”
- Experienced bariatric surgeons (more than 4,000 surgeries performed) with international reputations for excellence
- 95 percent of cases performed laparoscopically — minimally invasive surgery reduces complications and recovery time
- In 2013, 57 bariatric cases performed robotically
- Interactive communication with referring physicians to determine desired level of pre- and postoperative management
- Dedicated outpatient and inpatient areas specially equipped to meet the comfort needs of your patients
- Accredited through the Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program
- Three-year follow-up from the STAMPEDE (Surgical Therapy and Medications Potentially Eradicate Diabetes Efficiently) study demonstrated that bariatric surgery is a highly effective and durable treatment for type 2 diabetes in obese patients.
- A new study presented during ObesityWeek 2014 found that complication and death rates for gastric bypass are comparable to rates for some of the safest and most commonly performed surgeries.
Services are now offered at 7 locations nationwide:
- Cleveland Clinic main campus
- Cleveland Clinic Fairview Hospital
- Cleveland Clinic Hillcrest Hospital
- Cleveland Clinic Florida
- Doctors Hospital at Renaissance, Edinburg, Texas (affiliate)
- Richard E. Jacobs Family Health Center (Avon)
- Twinsburg Family Health Center
To refer a patient to Cleveland Clinic’s Bariatric and Metabolic Institute, call 216.445.2224 or 800.223.2273 ext. 52224.